La Salle humbles Ateneo's Basketball Legends and All Stars!
I don't want to brag about La Salle's domination of the Ultimate Showdown this afternoon between the Legends and All Star selections of the Ateneo-La Salle basketball rivalry. I want to share my happiness with all the green ones out there and the fanatics of the Ateneo-La Salle basketball games. The DLSU Legends defeated Ateneo by 79-70, while the La Salle All Stars also defeated Ateneo by 83-72. My Upper A ticket which costs me P315 was really worth it and I can't describe how this win truly made my day. On top of it, you earn some bragging rights until the official UAAP DLSU-ADMU match-up on July 10.
Aside from winning the games, there are a few things that we should be happy about:
1. We beat the Ateneo Blue Babble with the innovative La Salle Pep Squad moves. I've been always impressed on how Ateneo comes up with great ideas and shows during half time, but clearly this year's groups is not innovative -- we beat them to it. I particularly like the Dance/Cheer song that the girls performed at the start of the Legends game when the La Salle team was introduced-- It was tastefully sexy :) Also, cheer of the Alumni during the start of the All Star games was hilarious and cute with the additional of one lady among 5 alumni boys. I'll research on who these people are or probably watch the replay of the games.
2. It's been an honor to watch the King Archers/ King Eagles played in the present generation. I was overwhelmed that I still get a chance to see Lim Eng Beng shot the first 3 points of the Legends game when both teams are struggling to score or see Danny Francisco made a follow up shot to cut down the 20pts lead in the 3rd quarter to only four (4) points. I cannot express the happiness seeing two great coaches, Franz Pumaren and Jong Yuichico playing side-by-side---- how Franz sinks in a couple of 3 points shot or how Jong would always drive to the hoop and scores. I now have more respect for Tonichi Yturri for getting the most number of points during the legends game despite that he is now playing badminton. These are the people who made and kept the rivalry alive for the years to come.
3. The secret to Lasalle's Basketball success is great point guards, excellent coach and deep bench. I now know why the Pumarens are the best thing that ever happened in La Salle Basketball history. They were able to show how to execute great plays, demonstrate leadership inside the court, and coach the people with game winning strategies (platoon substitutions, pushing the right buttons, etc.) Its great to see the point guards -- Franz and Dindo Pumaren, Dino Aldeguer, Trillo, etc. playing side by side and show that they have not lost their touch.
This list could go on and on. Some notable moments during the ultimate showdown:
- Ren Ren Ritually and Tonichi Yturri beat Jojo Lastimosa and partner in the All star shoot out.
- Dinglasan is one of the "character person" in the DLSU All star bench -- the audience loved him.
- First time that I heard the Ateneo Alma Matter sang soo sadly. In the past, even if they lose the game, it would still be sang with a lot of gusto and pride.
Till July 10, for the next ADMU-DLSU game during the opening of the UAAP season!